WELCOME

The best advice I can give is from a talk by Elder Oaks: ”Last year a church member sent me a suggestion that someone prepare a book containing all General Authority interpretations of all verses in the scriptures. I replied that I thought this was not a good idea…. What we are seeking to accomplish… is not to magnify the standing of the prophets but to elevate the spirituality of our rank and file members. Like Moses, we declare, ‘would God that all the Lord’s people were prophets, and that the Lord would put his spirit upon them!’ (Numbers 11:29). We encourage everyone to study the scriptures prayerfully and seek personal revelation to know the meaning for themselves.” (Elder Dallin H. Oaks, “Scripture Reading and Revelation”, BYU Studies Academy Meeting, January 29, 1993)

Friday, December 28, 2018

Lehi's Dream a simple thing I missed before

As I was reading Lehi's Dram in 1 Nephi Chapter 8 I had a simple point jump out at me that I had not thought of before:
Two groups of people that came to the tree an partook of the fruit. The first:
24 And it came to pass that I beheld others pressing forward, and they came forth and caught hold of the end of the rod of iron; and they did press forward through the mist of darkness, clinging to the rod of iron, even until they did come forth and partake of the fruit of the tree.
25 And after they had partaken of the fruit of the tree they did cast their eyes about as if they were ashamed.
Then the second:
30 But, to be short in writing, behold, he saw other multitudes pressing forward; and they came and caught hold of the end of the rod of iron; and they did press their way forward, continually holding fast to the rod of iron, until they came forth and fell down and partook of the fruit of the tree.
These simple words that is what is different about these two groups hit me very strongly.
The difference from those that left and those that stayed was falling down. I brought this up to my wife and she said; Of course, they were humble, they knew the truth.
I agree with that but also think it is that they understood the Atonement. They knew the tree and fruit were much more than a tree and fruit.
These are members who are truly converted and living the gospel as opposed to the first group who are those that are social members. They are active in Church and meetings but not active in the gospel.

Just some thoughts.


No comments:

Post a Comment