WELCOME

The best advice I can give is from a talk by Elder Oaks: ”Last year a church member sent me a suggestion that someone prepare a book containing all General Authority interpretations of all verses in the scriptures. I replied that I thought this was not a good idea…. What we are seeking to accomplish… is not to magnify the standing of the prophets but to elevate the spirituality of our rank and file members. Like Moses, we declare, ‘would God that all the Lord’s people were prophets, and that the Lord would put his spirit upon them!’ (Numbers 11:29). We encourage everyone to study the scriptures prayerfully and seek personal revelation to know the meaning for themselves.” (Elder Dallin H. Oaks, “Scripture Reading and Revelation”, BYU Studies Academy Meeting, January 29, 1993)

Sunday, January 22, 2017

My Father Dwelt in a Tent

Today I had the chance to teach not only my regular 13year old Sunday School class with the best team teacher around(my wife).
But also was asked to do High Priest Group and cover Pres Nelson talk on Joy and Spiritual survival.
Well as we started in Sunday School I realized I had left my notes and "Manual" at home. But it went well.
In High Priests we talked about finding joy even when things are going rough.
We talked about Lehi and how even with all that he went through he was able to say we need to find joy!
A Past Bishop and a man I greatly respect part up the verse "My father dwelt in a tent."
Now I have heard a lot of sermons around just that one verse but he part up something that I had not thought of before.
We are reminded that Lehi dwelt in a tent yet his joy was that in this tent it was a holy place. This is where he received revelation, it is here where his children came to be taught. It was his home even in the midst of his trials.

How much can we learn from this, even though the world is getting crazy and is a bit scary at times, especially when I think of what is waiting for Boo as she gets older. Our homes can be holy, they can be our refuge.
They can be a center of Joy in our lives!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Do you know if the study guide is available online or as a document? That sounds like an absolutely amazing resource.

    ReplyDelete