WELCOME

The best advice I can give is from a talk by Elder Oaks: ”Last year a church member sent me a suggestion that someone prepare a book containing all General Authority interpretations of all verses in the scriptures. I replied that I thought this was not a good idea…. What we are seeking to accomplish… is not to magnify the standing of the prophets but to elevate the spirituality of our rank and file members. Like Moses, we declare, ‘would God that all the Lord’s people were prophets, and that the Lord would put his spirit upon them!’ (Numbers 11:29). We encourage everyone to study the scriptures prayerfully and seek personal revelation to know the meaning for themselves.” (Elder Dallin H. Oaks, “Scripture Reading and Revelation”, BYU Studies Academy Meeting, January 29, 1993)

Sunday, January 8, 2017

Who told Nephi?

So I have a new calling. I am now team teaching the 13 year olds in Sunday School with my wife.
Best part is that these are the same group of kids I had in 11 year old Primary 2 years ago.

This year our Stake President has given us a challenge to take a new blank copy of the Book of Mormon and read\study it and finish by June 13th when our stake youth are heading to Book of Mormon Quest (Where they go and live out and re-enact stories of the Book of Mormon)
We started as a family and individuals.
Today as we were reviewing what we had read as well as how our class went my wonderful wife said, "Who told Nephi his mom was complaining?"
I said what?
"When they were gone getting the plates he wrote that his mom started to complain and get mad at Lehi, who told hi?
I had never thought of this before so we talked it over and have come to the decision, based on our own families that one of Nephi's sisters must have laid into him and let him have it when he got back. You can just see and hear her in his face saying
"Why were you gone so long? Don't you know how worried we were?
You made mom so worried and she even got mad a dad for dragging us out here.
Have you no compassion on your parents, etc. etc.

In reading I do not get the feeling that Lehi tattled on his wife and all the boys were gone. Nor do I see Sariah tattling on herself, even though Nephi would have seen and heard his mom giving thanks they returned safely and bearing her testimony that Lehi was a prophet, this is not enough to get the full story so someone tattled to Nephi...sounds like something a sister would do.

No comments:

Post a Comment