WELCOME

The best advice I can give is from a talk by Elder Oaks: ”Last year a church member sent me a suggestion that someone prepare a book containing all General Authority interpretations of all verses in the scriptures. I replied that I thought this was not a good idea…. What we are seeking to accomplish… is not to magnify the standing of the prophets but to elevate the spirituality of our rank and file members. Like Moses, we declare, ‘would God that all the Lord’s people were prophets, and that the Lord would put his spirit upon them!’ (Numbers 11:29). We encourage everyone to study the scriptures prayerfully and seek personal revelation to know the meaning for themselves.” (Elder Dallin H. Oaks, “Scripture Reading and Revelation”, BYU Studies Academy Meeting, January 29, 1993)

Monday, July 2, 2018

Conference Journal

I decided to try a new approach to study General Conference.
I am not the artistic type no matter how much I want to be. But I found something that works for me.
I listened to Conference and took notes. After the talks were published on LDS.org and in my Gospel Library I went in and highlighted parts and made more notes.
I then took the highlighted sections and transferred them to a small notebook I bought just for this.
Now since I am not artistic I bought a set of stencils to help add shapes and flare.
I then put in a table of contents with speaker name, talk title from LDS.org and page # in my little book.
After it was all done I then took the Ensign and copied the topic list into the back of my book and added my page numbers to it so I can find items more easily.
I am pretty happy with the result and have used it a lot since it was created.
When I go to a meeting and they say we are going to discuss so and so talk I have my notes.
As I prepare my Youth Sunday School lesson I can look at the topic section and pull the latest word from the leaders of the Church to add to the lesson.








 

No comments:

Post a Comment