WELCOME

The best advice I can give is from a talk by Elder Oaks: ”Last year a church member sent me a suggestion that someone prepare a book containing all General Authority interpretations of all verses in the scriptures. I replied that I thought this was not a good idea…. What we are seeking to accomplish… is not to magnify the standing of the prophets but to elevate the spirituality of our rank and file members. Like Moses, we declare, ‘would God that all the Lord’s people were prophets, and that the Lord would put his spirit upon them!’ (Numbers 11:29). We encourage everyone to study the scriptures prayerfully and seek personal revelation to know the meaning for themselves.” (Elder Dallin H. Oaks, “Scripture Reading and Revelation”, BYU Studies Academy Meeting, January 29, 1993)

Monday, March 2, 2015

Testimony

Over the last few years I have come to realize that my testimony is made up of three parts.
Things I know
Things I believe
Things I hope for

Different points of doctrine have moved over time from Hope to belief to knowing, Tithing is a great example of that. No matter what you say or what evidence you present to me will ever change my mind that I know that the Law of Tithing works and is one thing I can do 100%.

Power of Fasting or Priesthood Blessings are also items that have moved through the steps and reside firmly in the Knowing level.

Some points cover all 3.

Example: I know that it takes an entire Ward and everyone fulfilling their calling to make the Ward work well.  I know God will help you in your calling no matter what it is being called as Bishop or the person in charge of raising the flag every week. Each is important and need by someone in the Ward Family, and if you fail to do your calling to your fullest’ s or if you magnify it, someone else will be affected.

I believe that weather you are called by inspiration or desperation, once your name is read over the pulpit and the Ward sustains you, and then it is as if God Himself gave you that calling and He will back you up on it as well as ask about how you fulfilled it.

I hope that when I have my last interview or PPI once I die that my magnifying my callings now, no matter what they are, will help show that I understand serving in the Kingdom.

 I know that the most important calling I will ever have in this life are Husband, Father, Son, brother.

I believe when I have that last interview that the first questions will be about each of these roles and the people that they affect.

I know that I will be asked about each of my relationships and how I helped the other person. Not how I felt or what was done to me, but what I did.

I believe that it won’t be asked what position I attained in the Church, but more along the lines of, “I see during this date to this date that you were called to teach the 11 year olds in Primary. Tell about each one of them and how you helped them to feel their Savior’s love.” Then “I see you were in the Bishopric during this time, tell me what you were over and how you helped the members of your Ward, and how you were a support to your Bishop.”

I hope that my answers will be satisfactory to myself on these questions. I think now in my life they will be.
 
I would be interested to hear your thoughts on this.

No comments:

Post a Comment