WELCOME

The best advice I can give is from a talk by Elder Oaks: ”Last year a church member sent me a suggestion that someone prepare a book containing all General Authority interpretations of all verses in the scriptures. I replied that I thought this was not a good idea…. What we are seeking to accomplish… is not to magnify the standing of the prophets but to elevate the spirituality of our rank and file members. Like Moses, we declare, ‘would God that all the Lord’s people were prophets, and that the Lord would put his spirit upon them!’ (Numbers 11:29). We encourage everyone to study the scriptures prayerfully and seek personal revelation to know the meaning for themselves.” (Elder Dallin H. Oaks, “Scripture Reading and Revelation”, BYU Studies Academy Meeting, January 29, 1993)

Thursday, December 7, 2017

Swaddling Clothes and Mary's Prep

I totally stole this from my wife Instagram post she did today.
I was so impressed with her insight.

  • nbradforI decided for the month of Dec I wanted to focus on learning more about the life of Jesus Christ. I came across a wonderful plan from @leslie_kawai where she has created a 30 day study guide to “Walk with Christ”. I am on day 6 and am loving this study. Today in particular was to study the birth of Christ. What I learned today has really touched my heart. When we learn of Christ’s birth we know that he was wrapped in swaddling bands. Honestly I never gave much thought as to what that was (it I’m being really honest, I just assumed it was something that they just had in hand). Today I learned that swaddling bands were special bands embroidered with symbols specific to the family lineage and used to wrap a bride and grooms hands under a wedding canopy. Then those swaddling bands were put away for use when the first son is born. What this tells me is that Mary lovingly prepared these bands and knowing she would likely give birth while they were away from home made sure to bring them on the trip to Bethlehem. They obviously couldn’t take much on their journey but she made sure to take what was needed to care for her newborn child, the Savior Jesus Christ. What an example Mary is of being prepared for the arrival of the Lord. How can I be like Mary and be prepared for that day when the Lord comes again?  #30daywalkwithChrist #lighttheworld

No comments:

Post a Comment