WELCOME

The best advice I can give is from a talk by Elder Oaks: ”Last year a church member sent me a suggestion that someone prepare a book containing all General Authority interpretations of all verses in the scriptures. I replied that I thought this was not a good idea…. What we are seeking to accomplish… is not to magnify the standing of the prophets but to elevate the spirituality of our rank and file members. Like Moses, we declare, ‘would God that all the Lord’s people were prophets, and that the Lord would put his spirit upon them!’ (Numbers 11:29). We encourage everyone to study the scriptures prayerfully and seek personal revelation to know the meaning for themselves.” (Elder Dallin H. Oaks, “Scripture Reading and Revelation”, BYU Studies Academy Meeting, January 29, 1993)

Monday, November 2, 2015

1 Nephi Chapter 1 (Some Thoughts)

I have started an in-depth study of the Book of Mormon in preparation of teaching it next year to my 11 year old Primary class.
I was amazed to find out a lot of info in just Chapter 1.

(Part of this I got from listening/watching to a DVD by S. Michael Wilcox, "Book of Mormon Gospel Study  Companion" then I added on top of it.)
There is so much more from Brother Nibley on this chapter that I have noted in my scriptures but I do not repeat it here

How to improve your spiritual knowledge.

Starting in this chapter we see a pattern .
  • Verse 4 Lehi hears prophets prophesying
  • Verse5  He prays about what he heard, with all his heart, not some half effort prayer but real intent.
  • Verse 8  He receives an answer to his prayer. True most of us wont get a vision or a "dream" but we do get answers
  • Verse 12  He studies what he is given as his answer
  • Verse 14  He is thankful and grateful for his answer also recount what you learn
  • Verse 16  He kept a record of his learning and shared it with his family
  • Verse 18  He preaches what he has learned and now knows
How often do we apply the same pattern to General Conference, Stake Conference or even regular Sacrament meeting. 9 steps from what I can see.

Other notes on the Chapter
  • It begins with a family and tells their story
  • Lehi as a name is mentioned in Judges 15 as a place. Means Jawbone or Cheek Bone. This was the place Samson killed 1000 Philistines with a jawbone of an ass. Judges 15:9 and 14
  • Having Spiritual experiences can be physically taxing. (Another reason I better get in better shape)
  • Even before His birth Christ "shone" brighter than us all
  • Lehi sees 12 others following Christ.
    • So I would assume this includes Judas,
      • which means to me that everyone at the start of your call has the potential to be great.
  • Evil often mocks when the truth is pointed out to them.
    • Then quickly turns to anger when mocking does not stop the person.


No comments:

Post a Comment