I was amazed to find out a lot of info in just Chapter 1.
(Part of this I got from listening/watching to a DVD by S. Michael Wilcox, "Book of Mormon Gospel Study Companion" then I added on top of it.)
There is so much more from Brother Nibley on this chapter that I have noted in my scriptures but I do not repeat it here
How to improve your spiritual knowledge.
Starting in this chapter we see a pattern .
- Verse 4 Lehi hears prophets prophesying
- Verse5 He prays about what he heard, with all his heart, not some half effort prayer but real intent.
- Verse 8 He receives an answer to his prayer. True most of us wont get a vision or a "dream" but we do get answers
- Verse 12 He studies what he is given as his answer
- Verse 14 He is thankful and grateful for his answer also recount what you learn
- Verse 16 He kept a record of his learning and shared it with his family
- Verse 18 He preaches what he has learned and now knows
Other notes on the Chapter
- It begins with a family and tells their story
- Lehi as a name is mentioned in Judges 15 as a place. Means Jawbone or Cheek Bone. This was the place Samson killed 1000 Philistines with a jawbone of an ass. Judges 15:9 and 14
- Having Spiritual experiences can be physically taxing. (Another reason I better get in better shape)
- Even before His birth Christ "shone" brighter than us all
- Lehi sees 12 others following Christ.
- So I would assume this includes Judas,
- which means to me that everyone at the start of your call has the potential to be great.
- Evil often mocks when the truth is pointed out to them.
- Then quickly turns to anger when mocking does not stop the person.